Harry Cartridge served aboard H.M.S. Kildonan Castle.
13 Skinner Street, PooleView On Map
Place of Service
HMS Kildonan Castle was commissioned as a hospital ship on 6 October 1915 and decommissioned in March 1916 and converted into an Armed Merchant Cruiser. She joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron on 21 August 1916. She was converted for use as an armed merchant cruiser in the July and was commissioned into the Royal Navy on 21 August and joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron based at Glasgow. She took Viscount Milner to Murmansk on the 17 January 1917 who headed the British Military Mission which attempted to stop Russia signing a non-aggression pact with Germany. The Brest-Litovsk Treaty was signed on the 2 March the same day that the mission arrived back at Scapa Flow. In April she returned once more to convoy work in the North Atlantic.